No need to break the bank

Advice for finding inexpensive, quality gifts

Lyndsay Miller, Staff Writer

The pressure of buying a quality gift but also being broke can turn the jolliest time of year into one…big…stressful ordeal. However, there are plenty of ways to beat the holiday madness without hitting up Grandma for a loan.

One major problem with buying Christmas gifts for friends is finding the right place to shop and which ones have the best deals. Senior Marissa Kovesdi stated, “My go-to store is Target. Target has everything and is usually pretty cheap.” Many would agree with Marissa, as Target has always seemed to have a little bit of everything to choose from. Fellow senior Rafe Lewis also loves Target because it is the only store he actually enjoys going into. As Rafe shared, “I’m not a big shopper. But around the holidays when I have to get gifts, Target is my favorite place to go.” A quick check online revealed that Target has necklaces with a name engraved on them for just $20 and the latest released movies for $13.Target is always a great option for presents and knickknacks galore.

Once you’ve identified the right store, finding an inexpensive quality gift can still raise one’s blood pressure. Sophomore Ceci Ochmann expressed, “I don’t have a lot of money because I don’t work. However, I always feel like I have to buy gifts for close friends. Finding a special gift is really important to me.” Ceci also shared that she wished there were an easy way to find low prices around this time of year.

To help, senior Chrissy Ferfolia noted, “I always make sure I have coupons before I shop. It’s imperative to check for special deals and discounts, especially around the holidays.” Checking Groupon or looking at online promotions is a huge help.

Homemade cookies or even a card are simple gestures that show people you still care

— Chrissy Ferfolia, '18

If your bank balance is as low as your last physics test grade, but you still want to give a gift, don’t fret. Chrissy shared that, when in doubt, a homemade gift is still always a great option. She explained, “Homemade cookies or even a card are simple gestures that show people you still care.” Ceci loves the idea of homemade gifts just as Chrissy does. “I think people like the fact that you even thought of them in the first place when it comes to a gift.” This is also a creative excuse to invite some friends over for a baking or craft-making party and share the holiday spirit.

So, yes, the craziness of the holidays can seem overwhelming, but there are plenty of viable options to keep the season special. Maintaining a simple Yuletide is just as meaningful as spending $100 on a single gift.

All in all, it’s the thought that counts.