The Pioneer

• November 6Using an iPad? Hold the device horizontally for best results.

• November 6Welcome to The Pioneer online! Please come back often to see what's new.

• November 6If you find an error please let us know by leaving a comment below the article.

Filed under News In Brief, Showcase

Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

Students unite with others across the nation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

During the walkout, WJ students read short bios about the victims of the Columbine HS shooting which happened 19 years ago. The issue of violence in schools remains an important one today.

Gabriella Delprete

Gabriella Delprete

Gabriella Delprete

Marking the 19th anniversary of the tragedy at Columbine High School, WJ students held a walkout on Friday April 20. The demonstration was organized by a student committee working to reduce gun violence in schools.

Freshman Bill Holtzer commented, “I found that the walkout was as I expected it to be. There was no strong political leaning in either direction. I feel that if there were to be any political statements it would have been a distraction from what really mattered, which was paying our respects to those killed in the school shooting.”

WJ’s student Anti-Violence Committee seeks to avoid tragedies like the one that occurred at Columbine High School. During that shooting 19 years ago, 13 people were killed and 25 students were injured. Nationwide, students are speaking out and participating in walkouts similar to the one held at Walsh Jesuit.

Junior Lexi Bajasz, who spoke at the walkout, stated, “I participated in the student walkout and read a short bio of one of the victims. I chose to get involved with these efforts to take a stand against gun violence because it is important to have schools where we can all feel safe every day.”

Gabriella Delprete, Managing Editor

I am Gabriella Delprete, a senior. I love to read, write, shop, go to movies with friends, and hang out with my family. I also love listening to music,...

1 Comment

One Response to “Walkout marks Columbine anniversary”

1. John Jiler on November 20th, 2018 5:44 pm

THE NOTORIOUS NINETEEN
    Dear Editor;
    Autumn is deepening, and seniors are thinking harder and harder about their next step. For many of us, your generation is the hope of the future. The Parkland high school shootings galvanized young people across the nation to passionately advocate for common sense gun laws. Now, as your attention turns to college, we want to turn our admiration into action.
    With the help of the Brady Center, the new Gabby Giffords consortium, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, we’re reaching out to high school journalists across the country with our list of the NOTORIOUS NINETEEN—the states with dangerous, inadequate gun laws. Many of them condone the open carry of weapons on college campuses, but even those who don’t have encouraged or tolerated a state-wide lawless and violent culture. Our mission is to make these states known to high school seniors, whom we encourage NOT to apply to college in:
    ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, IDAHO, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, UTAH, WEST VIRGINIA, or WYOMING.
    We’ll be following up with letters to college presidents, Governors and legislators of the “Notorious Nineteen.” If they’re curious why their state-wide college applications are down this year, we’ll be happy to tell them!
    Thank you for considering the publication of this letter in your newspaper. This is how the world changes. Good luck throughout senior year…… and beyond!
    Best,
    John Jiler,
    Coordinator,
    Committee for Scholastic Action On Guns

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

News In Brief

WJ gets shout out from Channel 19 News

• Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

News In Brief

Catholic Call-In Day to support Dreamers

• Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

News In Brief

A shark tale

• Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

News In Brief

Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month

• Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

News In Brief

Hype over new All Sports Complex as Warriors take on Irish [Video]

• Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

News In Brief

Solar eclipse dazzles, delights

• Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

News In Brief

Senior Clap Out [Video]

• Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

News In Brief

Bringing happiness from China

• Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

News In Brief

WJ’s March Madness Bracket Winner: Coach Norris

• Walkout marks Columbine anniversary

News In Brief

Grandparents Day returns to WJ, Sunday, March 26th

Walsh Jesuit High School's Student News Site
Walkout marks Columbine anniversary