Presidential election impacts high school students, all Americans

The outcome of today’s presidential election impacts voters and nonvoters alike.

James Stein, Managing Editor

This year’s US presidential election has been one of the most controversial in history. Although other candidates are on the ballot, it has come down to the Republican candidate Donald Trump or Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.

Courtesy of USA TODAY
Courtesy of USA TODAY

Young adults have shown extreme interest in this year’s campaign as it will have such a great impact on their lives. Even though some are unable to vote, their generation will be greatly affected by the outcome. Some of the most relevant issues for young adults include student loans and standardized testing. Grace Shisler, a senior, says, “Every decision the president will make in the next four years will directly affect young adults. It will set up the groundwork for their first few years of adulthood.”

Young people with a job will be affected more immediately.History teacher Mr. Andrew Kerr commented, “Any student who has a job and makes over a certain amount in a year probably pays taxes on their wages.” Due to this, young adults should be knowledgeable about candidates and their policies. Senior Gerry Knotek adds, “I don’t mind having taxes taken out of my pay as long as they are used for a good cause. It is a great concept and benefits everyone in the end.”

A major policy change possible as a result of this election relates to taxes, and young adults need to be aware of that. Even though there are many who are unable to vote, it is important for individuals to form their own personal opinions regarding whom they think is the best fit candidate and which one will benefit them the most.

Every decision the president will make in the next four years will directly affect young adults. It will set up the groundwork for their first few years of adulthood

— WJ senior Grace Shisler

Another concern prevalent among teenagers and millennials is not being able to find a candidate they like enough to vote for. They see problems with each candidate and struggle to decide who will carry out campaign promises. Senior Quinn Saluan believes that “Trump has repeatedly shown that he does not want to stand up for minorities (women, immigrants, etc.), and Clinton has proven over and over again that she is not trustworthy.”

Young adults should pay close attention to the election and which candidate will work for them. Their future and that of this country lie in the balance.