Ohio State crushes Michigan

Ohio State wins more than just a game

Shelby Lewis, Student Life Editor

Ohio State’s 30-27 win over Michigan State drew a 10.4 television rating on stations such as ESPN and ABC, an increase of 53 percent. Called “The Greatest North American Sports Rivalry” by ESPN, the game peaked during the double overtime at a 12.7 rating, blowing all previous televised football ratings out of the water.

Massive Crowds
Sam Thomas
This massive crowd of spectators gathered for what would become an epic game of the OSU and MSU rivalry.

The Michigan – Ohio State game, better known as The Game, had fans on the edge of their seats. No. 2 Ohio State and No. 3 Michigan played Saturday for high stakes since the winner will most likely earn a spot in the College Football Playoffs.

Walsh Jesuit senior Eric Bulgrin described his family’s multi-tasking: “We were putting up the Christmas tree and watching the game. If you weren’t watching, do you even live here?” He added, “Ornaments were broken when Durbin missed the second field goal.”

Ornaments were broken when Durbin missed the second field goal.

— Eric Bulgrin

Record Setting Crowds
Mary Figler
Adoring fans rushed the field after the game to celebrate the victory.

The Ohio State Buckeyes came out on top, defeating the Michigan Wolverines in a double overtime game. Sam Thomas, a senior, commented, “I thought we were gonna win in the first overtime. I felt good about their chances to win in overtime.” Senior Steve Walko added,”It was one of the craziest games I’ve ever seen.” The Buckeyes scored a come-from-behind 30-27 victory over Michigan. The win puts the Buckeyes’ record at a 11-1 while the Wolverines drop to 10-2.
Tyler Durbin led the team to victory with a field goal in its historic overtime. He kicked a 23-yard field goal with one second left on the clock. Steve Walko confessed to some nervousness regarding Durbin,”It was rough watching the third field goal because he missed the first two.”
Saturday’s game recorded an attendance of 110,045, making it the largest stadium crowd in Buckeye history. Fans eagerly await an announcement that the Buckeyes will earn a spot in the playoffs. An Ohio State presence could well mean another record, this time for the most college football TV viewers ever.