WJ accepts Ignatian Carbon Challenge

Student initiative aims to reduce carbon footprint

Nico Clark & Roman Gioglio

Student Government and Campus Ministry, with the urging of the senior class president, has started an initiative at Walsh Jesuit to raise awareness about the issue of climate change and to take action to reduce the school’s carbon footprint. The Ignation Carbon Challenge aims to get students involved with environmental justice issues.

Recently, students and faculty received an email about the Ignation Carbon Challenge, causing many to wonder what it is and why it is important. This program was started by the Ignatian Solidarity Network (ISN) in order to respond to the call by Pope Francis in his environmental encyclical “Laudato Si’” to be “stewards of creation.”

Through the support of Student Government, Walsh Jesuit, along with many Jesuit high schools and universities around the world, is able to join  in the “institutional level Ignation Carbon Challenge.” The initiative calls on Jesuit schools to address climate change, our “carbon footprint,” and environmental justice through a series of challenges
that all respond directly to Pope Francis’ “Laudato Si’.”

The Ignation Carbon Challenge aims to get students involved with environmental justice issues.

These challenges fall into three categories: Facilities, Strategic Thinking, and Community Formation. In order to be part of this worldwide initiative, Walsh must successfully complete at least 5 of the 12 challenges. Many of these will require rigorous planning.

For those who are not sure if they want to participate, the popular documentary “Before the Flood,” a National Geographic special, successfully conveys the urgency of climate change. The documentary reflects the theme of the initiative and has influenced many to become involved.

Student Government recognizes the Ignation Carbon Challenge as the perfect way to inform students and staff about this important topic. The issue of climate change and sustainability has been relatively quiet on Walsh’s campus, but not anymore.

Senior Roman Gioglio, who has spearheaded WJ’s participation, explained, “My goal for Walsh during this challenge is to do our part in saving our world and to spread awareness to everyone at Walsh on this issue. I believe that we can make changes now and, more importantly, set the foundation for future initiatives to make our campus more sustainable and responsive to climate change.”

The challenge lasts until May 2017, which leaves a lot of work ahead in a short time. That everyone become aware of and participate in what our school will be doing to take action is vital.

Anyone interested in joining this initiative is invited to attend the Justice League meeting on Tuesday, December 6, in Room 100 after school. The meeting will cover what the Ignation Carbon Challenge is, the urgency of climate change, how the school can respond, and brainstorming ideas for awareness and sustainability on our campus.

img_2534