Diversifying our school community [Video]

David George, Anthony Sicurezza, Kamari Spencer

Jesse Liptak, Staff Writer

As the Diversity Club closes in on its first year, Walsh Jesuit students reflect on the impact it has had. A common mantra heard by underclassmen is “Get involved.” Led by Mrs. Kaneshia Crenshaw, the Diversity Club has provided students another great opportunity to do just that.

Freshman Noel Bentley described her involvement in the club: “I always have a safe, open environment that I can let out my feelings and rant to some of my good friends without having to worry about being judged.” She added, “I never thought that two of my closest friends at Walsh would be two senior boys…The only reason I met them was because of Diversity Club.” Noel also praised the benefit of service hours made available through projects such as mentoring and tutoring.

When asked why someone should join Diversity Club, sophomore Tevin Watkins made the benefits very clear. He observed, “Diversity Club is a great place to meet new people of all races.” Overall, he described it as a fun, comfortable place to relax and talk with new people.

WJ students Maddie Wallace (’17) and Kamari Spencer (’17) tutor students at St. Anthony’s.

Senior Jacob Schettler stressed that “Diversity Club is not exclusive [to students of color or minorities].” He encouraged students of all ethnic backgrounds to join. After all, true diversity means bringing together students of all races, faiths and economic backgrounds.

When asked about their hopes for the future of Diversity Club, Noel, Tevin, and Jacob all responded similarly. They hope more students join to make the growing Diversity Club an even bigger part of WJ’s mission of inclusion and solidarity. So, knock on Mrs. Crenshaw’s door across from the library and get involved. Clearly, the Diversity Club has already made a positive impact on the students here at Walsh Jesuit and beyond.