A new beginning for the baseball team

Despite its youth, sights are on playoffs (and States)

Brendan Regan, Staff Writer

Spring has arrived so, naturally, the baseball Warriors (8-5) are back in action and looking forward to a comeback season. With new talent and an essentially new roster, the team plans to take  Ohio by storm.

Senior captains Jace Burke, Alex Weitman, and Brendan Regan are intent on making a deep run in the playoffs. Jace, a three-year letterman, expressed his enthusiasm and confidence, saying, “I think we can make it happen this year. With eight new starters in the field, we are looking to change our approach for playoff baseball.” In fact, the 2017 campaign for the WJ baseball team includes not only a new roster, but one of the youngest in its history. The five seniors have a role of leadership unparalleled in other years due to the lack of experience in the field.

(WJ Advancement)
The Walsh Jesuit varsity baseball team winds up for a great season.

Coach Kaczmar, one of the most talented and respected  coaches in the country, talked about plans to prepare the young team for playoffs: “Our goal for this season is to improve and enjoy each day. We will take advantage of the outstanding leadership of our three remarkable team captains…to bring along a young squad eager to leave their own mark.”  The goal to improve each day will ultimately lead the baseball team to the goal of a state championship.

Supported by five solid senior players, many younger members are stepping up in key positions. Sophomore Nate Stahl, one of the starting pitchers, also plays third base and has a strong bat. Another slugger, Matt Lobeck, can be depended on in the outfield with fellow junior Nolan Quinn.

Coach Kaczmar decided to build team spirit in a novel way by having a talent show this year. The team was divided into three groups, each headed by one of the captains and including two parent participants. They had to come up with a concept and perform it for the rest of the team.  One group gave Irish dancing a try, while another provided a rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner.” But the “synchronized swimmers” stole the show with their performance on a blue plastic tarp that was accompanied by a running commentator by one of the dads. Even with all the pressure of the season, the Warriors are finding fun ways to raise the excitement level.

This year, because of the rich tradition of the WJ baseball program, supporters hope for something special to take place. Evie Masturzo has been a devoted fan for three years despite her own busy track schedule. She said, “I love going to watch the baseball games, and I also like when we win.”