Let it snow! Let it snow! Please! Let it snow!

Area offers lots of winter activity opportunities

Sam McCarty, Staff Writer

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! But as this winter approaches, many fear that the snowfall will follow the 2017 trend when only 3 inches of snow fell in the entire month of January, which pales in comparison to years like 2014 when more than six inches of snow piled up in a single storm. Nonetheless, those who enjoy the crisp, sparkling white landscape eagerly anticipate another winter.

Juniors Lauren Flowers and Lainey Henry enjoy the winter cold as a time for getting together with friends and ice skating.

In the Cuyahoga Falls area, an abundance of winter activities are available for people with all levels of physical abilities. The region caters to the adventurous, with the slopes and trails of the Cuyahoga Valley, and to house cats with the heated comfort of the Natatorium and other nearby facilities.

Derek Friend, ’18, is drawn to the winding trails of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. “Getting in touch with nature is good for the soul, especially during the winter when I have the parks to myself, and I take my dog on walks or go on snowy bike rides,” he explained. The parks also offer a getaway for families that look to get their adrenaline pumping with sled riding, tubing or cross country skiing.

The valley has a similar allure for sophomore Carter Johnston, who referred to the slopes at Boston Mills as a perfect spot to “forget about all [his] problems.” Johnston also enjoys snowboarding at the resort because, as he said, “ It brings me and my brother closer since we both enjoy the sport.” At the Brandywine and Strongsville toboggan chutes, juniors Mitch Wheeler and Dominic Audino fly faster than Santa’s reindeer as they glide down the slippery slopes.

(Photo via Flickr, Creative Commons)
Many students like to hike trails like this one, the Ledges Trail at Cuyahoga Valley National Park, as way to get out and enjoy the unique beauties of winter.

Some, like senior Samantha Sitarz, prefer to keep her winter activities a little closer to home. In her backyard, Samantha said, “My brother Joey and I build a snow fort every winter and have a snowball fight.” She continued, “We use our sleds as shields, and it’s a lot of fun.”

Similarly, Eliot Dyer, ’18, builds his annual snowman on his deck, a tradition that he started 13 years ago with his dad. No doubt, things would not be the same without that frosty face peering through the kitchen window.

Sam Krakowski, ’21, confronts the cold along with his friends every year to hold a massive 15-person snowball fight. There, the two teams battle for dominance while still abiding by the rules, although sometimes a sneaky player will give his snowball an icy payload.

On the other hand, many find that the winter season is a time to retreat to the comforts of the indoors. This homebound branch of humanity prefers to cuddle up by the fireplace and watch “The Bachelorette” or maybe even read a good book. For these individuals, the sight of freshly fallen snow may be momentarily picturesque, but the thought of driving on Ohio’s slushy and slippery roads can bring them to tears. Junior Collin Quinn uses his free time to go to the gym and play basketball. “I love the spring and the fall,” he said, “because it’s not too hot or too cold.”

Nevertheless, most Northeast Ohioans do not fall short of keeping the winter active and full of life from the icy retreats of their own backyards to the sublime quiet of the Cuyahoga Valley.

Winter offers lots of wonderful opportunities. But just remember, never eat yellow snow.