Conjuring the snow day spirits

Once+all+the+work+of+the+snow+day+superstitions+pays+off%2C+you+too+could+be+enjoying+a+wonderful+day+off+like+senior+Sam+Matonis.+

(Matonis)

Once all the work of the snow day superstitions pays off, you too could be enjoying a wonderful day off like senior Sam Matonis.

As the weather worsens, the chance of a snow day increases. Superstitious WJ students shared some of their snow day charms in hopes that more people participate, bettering the chances for a day off school.

Spencer Williams, ’19, wears his pajamas inside out and backwards when wishing for a snow day. “Doing a snow dance helps, too!” he exclaimed. Spencer learned this tradition in elementary school and swears it brings good luck.

Senior Gabi Thompson and her younger sister drop one ice cube in the toilet for every inch of snow they want. Although this may seem like a bit of a stretch, kids will do whatever they can to avoid school

Other helpful students claim that sleeping with a spoon under the pillow brings good luck as well. This signifies that there will be so much snow in the morning that you will have to dig yourself out. Other common traditions include shaking a snow globe whenever you walk by it and eating ice cream the night before a snow storm. Senior Nolan Quinn puts a twist on this, eating a bowl of snow instead of ice cream.

(Pioneer staff)
This Latin class heads to the lower soccer fields where they summon Frigidus, the god of cold. While outside, students chant and hope for a snow day to come.

The day before a snow storm, Latin teacher Mr. James Storad takes his classes to the lower soccer fields where they summon Frigidus, the god of cold. While outside, students chant and raise their arms repeatedly in supplication, asking Frigidus to deliver a snow day.

In the past, students knew their efforts had worked when WJ alumnus John Hassman, ’17, tweeted the magic word: “skittles.” This meant that his dad, then principal Mr. Mark Hassman, had called off school, arguably thanks to the superstitious students! Currently, with no student informant in the Jesuit house, students must wait in agonizing anticipation until Father Carr sends out the phone blast.