WJ boys basketball on the rise

Overtime win against Hoban excites team and fans

Warrior+fans+celebrate+a+victory+over+rival+Archbishop+Hoban+High+School+on+January+29.+

(Michelle Curenton)

Warrior fans celebrate a victory over rival Archbishop Hoban High School on January 29.

Big baskets. Thrilling games. The boys varsity basketball team continues to rise.

A fan-packed Dome was ready to help cheer on the varsity team on the night of January 26. Regulation time proved insufficient for the battling Warriors. With an exciting overtime win, beating Archbishop Hoban 61-59, the hype over the team reached new heights, as their record improved to 9-4.

Senior captain Phil Vincent indicated that the team was “definitely more serious” than ever before. He added, “some people can get caught up in the hype, but we were ready to battle.” Phil is joined by fellow senior captains Adam Haag and Ben Merril and junior Tommy Cummings.

The Warriors and Knights combined to start the game with six consecutive three-pointers. Walsh Jesuit made six of its first eight shots and Hoban made seven of its first 11. Ben Merril, who finished with 14 points and eight rebounds, made the final game-winning shot for the Warriors. More top scorers were sophomore Maison Ross with 20 points, senior Justin Lindsay with 12, eight by Donovan Morris, and seven by Phil Vincent.

(Michelle Curenton)
Senior Ben Merril takes the final shot of the game, clinching the Warriors’ victory over Archbishop Hoban.

The atmosphere in the Dome was electric. “It was definitely the biggest student section we had all year,” stated senior cheerleader Sarah Lowe. “I was excited to get to cheer alongside the student section and pump up the team.”

The long-standing rivalry took place on and off the court. Tumbling battles between the two cheerleading squads took place, with a few WJ’s students trying to get involved. Constant chanting between the two high schools reached deafening levels.

With a month full of jam-packed games still to come, senior Justin Lindsay is excited to play Hoban yet again. “The energy of the first game has me ready for another close game with a great team,” he stated. Walsh Jesuit is scheduled to play again at Hoban on February 23.