Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

Shed stress and feel confident about exam week

Gavin Davison, Staff Writer

Final exams stress students out. Whether in high school, college or graduate school, students preparing to take end-of-year exams suffer a great deal of anxiety and pressure.

New York University recently examined stress as it relates to school. “The study shows that there is growing awareness that many subgroups of youth experience high levels of chronic stress, to the extent it impedes their abilities to succeed academically, compromises their mental health functioning, and fosters risk behavior.” This stress is even more severe during final exams.

(Max Snyder)
Junior Kyle Hakes manages his time and stress by using free periods to study for final exams.

One great way to deal with stress is laughter. According to the Daily Collegian, “They say laughter is the best medicine, and in many cases, this is true. Arguably one of the best ways to relieve stress and feel better about your day is to laugh.”  Laughter can be achieved by hanging out with friends, watching television or even reading a funny book.

Physical activity also provides a coping mechanism. “Physical activity can reduce fatigue, reduce stress, improve alertness, and increase attentiveness. You don’t even have to spend an hour at the gym to exercise, just look up some quick exercises and reap the benefits,” states The University of Rhode Island. Taking some time to rejuvenate your mind through exercise helps decrease anxiety associated with final exams.

Finally, another effective way to manage stress is to eat nutritious meals and snacks. “Eating nutritious foods will energize you and increase your concentration and retention,” asserts The Huffington Post. Maintaining healthy eating habits is an easy way to help ease stress during finals. Grab an apple or some cheese instead of chips or a candy bar.  Simple changes in diet can have a big impact on stress levels.

So, make sure to include generous doses of laughter, exercise and healthy eating in the weeks leading up to finals. You will feel better and think more clearly and, hopefully, do better on those exams.