The Pioneer

• November 6Using an iPad? Hold the device horizontally for best results.

• November 6Welcome to The Pioneer online! Please come back often to see what's new.

• November 6If you find an error please let us know by leaving a comment below the article.

Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

Shed stress and feel confident about exam week

Gavin Davison, Staff Writer

Final exams stress students out. Whether in high school, college or graduate school, students preparing to take end-of-year exams suffer a great deal of anxiety and pressure.

New York University recently examined stress as it relates to school. “The study shows that there is growing awareness that many subgroups of youth experience high levels of chronic stress, to the extent it impedes their abilities to succeed academically, compromises their mental health functioning, and fosters risk behavior.” This stress is even more severe during final exams.

(Max Snyder)
Junior Kyle Hakes manages his time and stress by using free periods to study for final exams.

One great way to deal with stress is laughter. According to the Daily Collegian, “They say laughter is the best medicine, and in many cases, this is true. Arguably one of the best ways to relieve stress and feel better about your day is to laugh.”  Laughter can be achieved by hanging out with friends, watching television or even reading a funny book.

Physical activity also provides a coping mechanism. “Physical activity can reduce fatigue, reduce stress, improve alertness, and increase attentiveness. You don’t even have to spend an hour at the gym to exercise, just look up some quick exercises and reap the benefits,” states The University of Rhode Island. Taking some time to rejuvenate your mind through exercise helps decrease anxiety associated with final exams.

Finally, another effective way to manage stress is to eat nutritious meals and snacks. “Eating nutritious foods will energize you and increase your concentration and retention,” asserts The Huffington Post. Maintaining healthy eating habits is an easy way to help ease stress during finals. Grab an apple or some cheese instead of chips or a candy bar.  Simple changes in diet can have a big impact on stress levels.

So, make sure to include generous doses of laughter, exercise and healthy eating in the weeks leading up to finals. You will feel better and think more clearly and, hopefully, do better on those exams.

1 Comment

One Response to “Final Exams…Aaack! Help!”

1. Spencer Williams on August 24th, 2018 2:24 pm

I have seen this man eat 4 bananas with the peel on as well as an orange with the peel in. Im talking to you Max.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

News

The meaning of “ruwach”

• Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

Student Life

Mass of the Holy Spirit inspires new school year

• Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

A&E

“Crazy Rich Asians” makes history [Review]

• Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

A&E

Gobsmacking reality check!

• Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

Student Life

Commons gets constant comments on renovation

• Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

Student Life

Freshman Student Government elections

• Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

Student Life

Freshman Student Government candidates

• Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

Showcase

Rugby Warriors advance to state final four

• Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

Opinion

One of us is lying… [Opinion]

• Final Exams…Aaack! Help!

Feature

Summer jobs yield more than money

Walsh Jesuit High School's Student News Site
Final Exams…Aaack! Help!