Advice from the Class of 2017

Jillian Reich, Staff Writer

Now that Prom 2018 is over and graduation day quickly approaches, many seniors are nervous for their futures and are trying to figure out how they are going to adjust to college life. Current college freshmen  Margo Pivonka, Mitch Miller, Gerry Knotek, and Nick Calaiacovo share advice as the seniors move on to the next chapter in their lives.

Margo Pivonka plays Division I volleyball at Georgetown University.  “Playing a sport in college and balancing homework and studying can be difficult, but you have to learn to prioritize.  I spend about two to three hours each day in the library so I do not fall behind on my work. I make sure I use my free time wisely because the worst thing I can do is worry about homework at practice,” said Margo.

Kent State University student Mitch Miller described the challenge of commuting to school.  “Many people think that I have it easier since I commute but, in reality, I have a harder time because I have to make time for homework and work. Driving every day to class and back home gets tiring.”

Jillian Reich
Mitch Miller, ’17, commutes from Kent State and hopes his first year college experiences can help WJ’s graduating seniors.

Also at KSU, Gerry Knotek lives on campus. He shared, “Something that I definitely will change my sophomore year is how well I manage my time.  I have way more free time than expected, and I would use that time doing the wrong things.  I was not focusing on my school work during that time.  For you seniors, now upcoming freshmen, you need to be able to prioritize and stay on top of your studies.”

Nick Calaiacovo currently attends The University of Cincinnati and addressed a common worry.  “I was homesick for the first few weeks of college.  I had so much free time and did not know what to do with myself.  I think that once you get your schedule locked down, your time management gets easier and you will be way less stressed out if you have everything planned,” said Nick.

These college freshmen hope that their words of wisdom benefit the Class of 2018.