The Pioneer

• November 6Using an iPad? Hold the device horizontally for best results.

• November 6Welcome to The Pioneer online! Please come back often to see what's new.

• November 6If you find an error please let us know by leaving a comment below the article.

A Celebration of History

Drew Toth, Staff Writer

Energy and excitement filled the Dome on Tuesday, February 5, during the third annual Black History Pep Rally. Students and faculty came together as a community to celebrate Black Heritage Month.

(Lamont Wilson)
The Jones triplets (Brittany, Brooke, and Brianna) get together and share a smile as the excitement builds for the assembly.

Mrs. Kaneshia Crenshaw, Director of Diversity and Inclusion, said that the purpose was to “celebrate and commemorate Black History in a way that is relatable to students, [by] highlighting dance, Hip Hop, and RnB.”

Hip Hop, RnB, and many dance forms took root in Black culture but, as time passed, they began to be appreciated by a wider audience. “[The rally] showed the evolution of each from their origins to now,” Mrs. Crenshaw explained. She added that the three musical forms were chosen to demonstrate “how they have evolved to be inclusive and enjoyed by many.”

The program included a variety of musical performances by students such as senior Oscar Okechukwu, who performed late-rapper Tupac Shakur’s hit single “California Love” to an excited audience. Oscar noted, “It was a song that personally got me into hip hop and, more importantly, rapping.”

A dance routine was performed by the talented freshman trio of Jasmine Secession, James Sanders, and Mya Penn. Mya  stated, “My favorite part was getting to show the school black culture through dancing and performing with my friends.”

Two musical and rhythm competitions were also held. Sophomore Billy Thompson was one of the many contestants during the lively music trivia game. “It was good even though I didn’t know some of the songs,” Billy admitted.

Student reactions to the celebration have been overwhelmingly positive. Robbie Cramer, another sophomore, said, “It’s good for Walsh to accept and acknowledge diverse talent in our school.” Junior Karios McCune added, “It was a fun event. Lots of excitement.”

The assembly “inspired us to become change agents, with roots in social justice,” according to Mrs. Crenshaw.