The Pioneer

• November 6Using an iPad? Hold the device horizontally for best results.

• November 6Welcome to The Pioneer online! Please come back often to see what's new.

• November 6If you find an error please let us know by leaving a comment below the article.

Nintendo Switch surprises the gaming world

Michael Dick, Staff Writer

Looking for a new video game to enjoy? “Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee” and “Super Smash Brothers Ultimate” were released exclusively on the Nintendo Switch on November 16 and December 7, 2018, respectively, to video game fans worldwide.

Michael Dick

“Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee” features the exceedingly familiar and original Pokémon region of Kanto. “Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee” includes a catching system similar to the phone app “Pokémon Go” and “Smash Brothers Ultimate.”

“What makes the game so special to me is how nostalgic Pokémon is. Growing up watching and playing these games reminds each person that inside, they are a kid that wants to just have fun. It allows an escape from our busy world and allows us to slow down and remember all the great times we’ve played the games as kids,” senior Christian Le stated.

Although most find it a completely enjoyable and rewarding game, some have issues with the catching and battling system that differs drastically from traditional “Pokémon” games. The new system makes the game more repetitive, as one has to catch a Pokémon numerous times in a row to get one with good IV’s, or skills.

“The game is unbalanced. I don’t like catching the same Pokémon over and over again. I would give the game a 6.5/10,” said senior John DeLuca, who objects to the new catching system mechanic.

Conversely, “Super Smash Brothers Ultimate” bears similarities to the older games in the series. Although on a different platform and with new characters and graphics, the mechanics are nearly identical to the older games.

[Super Smash Brothers is] a very fun game, and I would rate it a perfect 10/10.”

— Sophie Malynn

“I enjoy how they have kept the gameplay nearly the same. I’ve been playing “Smash” for years and have never gotten bored with it. It’s an outstanding game,” Chris Zinkan, another senior, proclaimed when asked about the game.

Furthermore, the friendly and competitive atmosphere “Smash” creates helps keep the game engaging, enjoyable, and can lead to meeting other WJ students.

“”Super Smash Brothers’ has allowed me to bond and make friends with people I would usually never talk to,” senior Stevie Klein stated.

Although video games are typically only played by boys, many females enjoy the gaming experience Nintendo games, such as “Super Smash Brothers,” provides.

“It’s a very fun game, and I would rate it a perfect 10/10,” junior gamer Sophie Malynn stated.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Nintendo Switch surprises the gaming world”

1. Davis Sumner on April 1st, 2019 7:46 am

This was an amazing article, I loved it! It was nice that Mike was able to incorporate a gamer girl into this magnificent piece. Only problem is professor where’s my Article about hiking my dream.

Love, Davis

2. Gavin on April 2nd, 2019 1:49 pm

I love my switch!!! Awesome article!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Nintendo Switch surprises the gaming world

Student Life

Student Gov. Election Information

Student Life

Class of 2020 Candidate Videos

Student Life

Class of 2021 Candidates

Student Life

Class of 2022 Candidates

Feature

Mrs. Kozlowski: a hero in our midst

Showcase

Senior Clap Out 2019

Student Life

Meet the 2019-2020 Executive Student Government Candidates

Feature

Diversity: WJ students speak out

Feature

What’s in a name?

Feature

Vitamins: Are you throwing money away?

Walsh Jesuit High School's Student News Site