Nintendo Switch surprises the gaming world

Michael Dick, Staff Writer

Looking for a new video game to enjoy? “Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee” and “Super Smash Brothers Ultimate” were released exclusively on the Nintendo Switch on November 16 and December 7, 2018, respectively, to video game fans worldwide.

Michael Dick

“Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee” features the exceedingly familiar and original Pokémon region of Kanto. “Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee” includes a catching system similar to the phone app “Pokémon Go” and “Smash Brothers Ultimate.”

“What makes the game so special to me is how nostalgic Pokémon is. Growing up watching and playing these games reminds each person that inside, they are a kid that wants to just have fun. It allows an escape from our busy world and allows us to slow down and remember all the great times we’ve played the games as kids,” senior Christian Le stated.

Although most find it a completely enjoyable and rewarding game, some have issues with the catching and battling system that differs drastically from traditional “Pokémon” games. The new system makes the game more repetitive, as one has to catch a Pokémon numerous times in a row to get one with good IV’s, or skills.

“The game is unbalanced. I don’t like catching the same Pokémon over and over again. I would give the game a 6.5/10,” said senior John DeLuca, who objects to the new catching system mechanic.

Conversely, “Super Smash Brothers Ultimate” bears similarities to the older games in the series. Although on a different platform and with new characters and graphics, the mechanics are nearly identical to the older games.

[Super Smash Brothers is] a very fun game, and I would rate it a perfect 10/10.

— Sophie Malynn

“I enjoy how they have kept the gameplay nearly the same. I’ve been playing “Smash” for years and have never gotten bored with it. It’s an outstanding game,” Chris Zinkan, another senior, proclaimed when asked about the game.

Furthermore, the friendly and competitive atmosphere “Smash” creates helps keep the game engaging, enjoyable, and can lead to meeting other WJ students.

“”Super Smash Brothers’ has allowed me to bond and make friends with people I would usually never talk to,” senior Stevie Klein stated.

Although video games are typically only played by boys, many females enjoy the gaming experience Nintendo games, such as “Super Smash Brothers,” provides.

“It’s a very fun game, and I would rate it a perfect 10/10,” junior gamer Sophie Malynn stated.