The Pioneer

• November 6Using an iPad? Hold the device horizontally for best results.

• November 6Welcome to The Pioneer online! Please come back often to see what's new.

• November 6If you find an error please let us know by leaving a comment below the article.

How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

Back to Article
Back to Article

How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

DreamWorks

DreamWorks

DreamWorks

Sarah Elbin, Contributing Writer

With beloved characters, stunning animation and John Powell’s invigorating score, “How to Train your Dragon: The Hidden World” really packs a punch.

The third movie in the “Dragon” series, which opened on February 22, 2019, goes back to the original book’s roots. The story picks up six months after the final events of the second film. But the plot is no less impactful. It moves very fast and provides the perfect ending to the beautiful trilogy.

Halle Walcut, a sophomore, said, “[‘Hidden World’] tied together the whole story and was a great way to end an amazing trilogy.”

As the film begins, Hiccup, now the chief of the town of Berk, carries on his father’s legacy by creating a peaceful dragon-viking utopia. When Berk, experiences overcrowding and a Night-fury dragon hunter endangers the town and its new companions, Hiccup and the towns people set out to find the legendary Hidden World where dragons can live safely.

Junior Maison Ross, a fan of the film series, explained, “The lost world of the dragons previously talked about in earlier movies was finally discovered in the third movie. In the end Hiccup starts a family of his own, and returns to the lost world to visit Toothless, who also has a family of his own and leads the dragon world”.

With characters such as Ruffnut and Tuffnut, the movie delivers important and heartwarming messages about true love while including plenty of comic relief. Of any of the characters, Toothless, Hiccups dragon, is arguably the most dynamic. Similar to Hiccup in the previous movie, he advances quickly from careless young dragon to an all-powerful leader but still feels out of place.

DreamWorks

“I really enjoyed how the dragons’ love story played out in the film,” said Jacquelyn Elbin, commenting on the relationship between Toothless and a Light-fury.

John Powell returns once again to produce another triumphant score, even better than its predecessors. In addition, extremely detailed and realistic animation elicit strong emotional responses from the audience. Despite all this, the film, unfortunately, is hampered by a less than memorable villain and very little character development for Astrid, Hiccups’s love interest.

“Hidden World” is a must-watch film, especially for the many longtime fans of the series. Overall movie delivers what is expected and is a surprisingly thought-provoking entry in the children’s film series.

The film receives a 9/10 from this reviewer for its realistic characters, satisfying finale and gorgeous animation.

1 Comment

One Response to “How to Train Your Dragon [Review]”

1. Brendan e. on April 12th, 2019 1:26 pm

Good job.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

A&E

“Higher, further, faster”

• How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

A&E

Energy drink taste testing challenge [Video]

• How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

A&E

Top 10 Marvel movies

• How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

A&E

Well…Hellooo, Dolly!

• How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

A&E

2019 Grammys: A noteworthy evening

• How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

A&E

Where on campus?

• How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

A&E

Artist of the Month: Maddie Salata

• How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

A&E

Sweets of the Christmas season

• How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

A&E

Five good for your health foods [Quiz]

• How to Train Your Dragon [Review]

A&E

Which Jungle Book character are you? [Quiz]

Walsh Jesuit High School's Student News Site
How to Train Your Dragon [Review]