Bringing Diversity to Walsh Jesuit

This year WJ welcomes Mrs. Kaneshia Crenshaw as the Director of Diversity

Director of Diversity Mrs. Kaneshia Crenshaw

Skye Harwood, Staff Writer

To add to all the innovations that come along with a new school year, Walsh Jesuit now has a face for its Diversity Program. WJ welcomes Mrs. Kaneshia Crenshaw, who brings her considerable knowledge about and experience with inclusion and diversity. The Pioneer sat down with Mr. Ertle, Walsh Jesuit’s president, Mrs. Crenshaw, and a few students to hear their opinions about the new program.

This bulletin board outside Mrs. Crenshaw's allows students to share their thoughts on what diversity means at WJ.
Skye Harwood
This bulletin board across from Mrs. Crenshaw’s office allows students to share their thoughts on what diversity means at WJ.

“Walsh Jesuit is a warm and welcoming place but does not represent the racial or social status of the region,” noted Mr. Ertle when asked how he works to create a campus environment that is welcoming, inclusive and increasingly diverse. He wants the students who come from different backgrounds to be able to fit comfortably into Walsh. “My goal is that our students can meet amazing young people of all races and backgrounds and see the goodness of all God’s creation.” The aim of the Diversity Program is to do just that.

Mrs. Crenshaw has worked with two different schools and programs, bringing together clubs to encourage diversity. She had hosted field trips partnering with private schools to visit African American cultural museums to learn more about the past. Partnering with other schools is a great way to learn and grow. She said with a smile, “I want everyone to understand we all have a role in this community, and I encourage people to take a chance and talk to different people, take a risk, share information and learn more about each other.”

A few students offered their opinions on what it means to be diverse. “Equal respect for people with different backgrounds,” noted Julia Mullins (‘17). Caroline Dickinson (‘17) quickly chimed in, stating, “Speak your mind and be true to yourself.” Our students certainly know how to love and respect one another, and we are surrounded by so many caring people, which makes this year’s theme, “Loving,” so much more relevant.

image
Mrs. Crenshaw works to inform WJ students about need to become more aware of diversity issues at the school.