Coach G: A true man for others

Megan Cummins, Social Media and Breaking News Editor

That Walsh Jesuit holds a special place in Mr. G’s heart is an understatement. “The whole community at Walsh is pretty special,” he said, and described the students as “caring and compassionate, inside and out.” Mr. Steve Grescovich, a ’74 alum, has been a beloved and respected member of the WJ faculty for nearly 40 years. He currently teaches senior Speech and is the assistant varsity football and baseball coach. 

Since Mr. Ricco invited both Mr. Rardin and Coach G to come to WJ, they have been highly involved in the community.

Mr. Rardin during his first years at Walsh Jesuit.
Coach G during his first years at Walsh Jesuit.

Dean of Students Rardin has known Coach G for over 40 years and believes that he “has given himself to the students of WJ, truly ‘living’ the mission of the school.”

Accepting a football coaching position at Walsh Jesuit shortly before graduating from Akron University, Coach G has been around to see the many changes the school has gone through. Responding to the admission of girls in 1993, a change that completely altered the school, Coach G noted, “[Walsh Jesuit] grew in leaps and bounds because of adding girls.”

When asked why he thinks he is so highly regarded among students and faculty, he responded with a humble and simple “mutual respect.” He added, “True passion comes from the fact it is reciprocated.” Over the years, Coach G has seen many classes come and go and has done his best to teach all students to be present, “to live each and every moment in that moment” and, specifically, to emphasize God’s plan for all them.

Coach G continues to have an impact on his students both in school and out. This past summer Coach G accompanied a group of students to Guatemala on an immersion trip that provided an opportunity to bring students and the people they were helping closer together. “Our students’ interactions with everyone we encountered while we were there, families, children, and Carlos our security guard” among others, are relationships that Coach G highlighted.

image
Senior Alex Weitman and Coach G. take a photo to remember their service trip to Guatemala this summer.

Senior Alex Weitman had the chance to become closer with Mr. Grescovich during that same trip to Guatemala, something for which he is very grateful. He described Coach G with nothing but kind words: “No other man fits the definition of a man for others more perfectly than Coach G.” Weitman also made special note of Coach G’s daily positivity, “Not a day goes by when Coach G isn’t doing something to make someone else’s life better.” 

The entire Walsh Jesuit community cherishes Coach G and all that he does for his students. His passion is made clear through the never ending love and support he showers on everyone around him. 

Every time a student says “hello” to him in the hallway or “thank you” when he holds the door, in short, any time Coach G is able to have positive interactions with students, he observed, “It makes my day each and every day.” He credits God for the blessing of being surrounded by such special students.