The Red Chair

The Red Chair inspires appreciation and generosity in the school community.

Derek Friend

Sam Thomas, Staff Writer

Recently, a mysterious red chair has circulated among classrooms, causing students to wonder where it came from and why it is significant.  Fortunately, Walsh Jesuit President Karl Ertle was happy to fill everybody in.

When questioned by The Pioneer, Mr. Ertle explained, “The Red Chair was initiated by Jesuit Refugee Services, and our WJ chair was created by Ms. Walker.”  He then added, “The red chair will be carried to different classes around the school during this week.  It symbolizes the student who is not physically present in the room because they do not have access to Jesuit education — but with our generosity, that can change.”

Seniors Roman Gioglio and Nico Clarke carry the Red Chair to their next class through a busy hallway.

Ms. Walker helped provide a striking symbol that can be found rotating from classroom to classroom.  She commented, “It was inspirational to see the chair and the meaning that is represented by it… I hope that kids will recognize the chair and donate to the cause.”

Senior David George shared his initial reaction to the chair: “The Red Chair really opened my eyes and put things into perspective about my education.  It made me realize that many people do not have the advantages and opportunities that I have. I would love to help aid those in need and find a solution to this unfortunate problem.”

Junior Mike Kadair’s response was similar: “The Red Chair donation is a very kind thing to do for kids who do not have the same opportunities as we do at a Jesuit school.  We are extremely privileged at WJ and often forget how fortunate we truly are.”

Brooke Wallace, a freshman, noted, “The donation is a very worthy because an education is very valuable in today’s society… Seeing the chair in my classroom provided me with a positive outlook on my education and the opportunities that I have been granted.”

The Red Chair really opened my eyes and put things into perspective about my education.

— David George

Once students have all been inspired by the symbolism of the vacant chair, a mission collection will be taken up next week to benefit young people who do not have the financial resources for a Jesuit education, particularly those in refugee camps around the world. Mr. Ertle would like the whole Walsh Jesuit community to know that all of the money contributed to the Red Chair campaign will go to Jesuit Refugee Services.  As men and women for others, Walsh Jesuit is encouraging students, faculty and staff to come together and help donate towards this wonderful cause.

Contributions can be made next Monday (12.5.16) and Wednesday in homeroom classes. Teachers have been provided with an envelope to facilitate your generosity to this worthy cause.