WJ names Fr. Mark Carr,S.J., as next principal

As the school’s ninth principal, Fr. Carr will begin this summer in his new leadership role

Walsh Jesuit High School is blessed and honored to announce Rev. Mark A. Carr, S.J., as the school’s new principal. Fr. Carr, age 46, will assume his duties later this summer, using his extensive background in and passion for Jesuit education as he becomes the school’s chief academic officer.

Currently, Fr. Carr serves as the socius/assistant provincial for the Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus (Milwaukee, WI) as well as religious superior of the Père Marquette Jesuit Community.

As principal, Fr. Carr will guide the academic programming and spiritual formation of the school and will be instrumental in implementing Walsh Jesuit’s strategic plan.

For over 10 years, Fr. Carr has served with distinction in Jesuit high schools. At Marquette University High School (Milwaukee, WI), he held many leadership positions, including assistant principal for academics, assistant principal for faculty formation and teacher of theology and social studies. At Red Cloud High School on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota, he was both teacher and director of campus ministry.

Fr. Carr commented on his devotion to Jesuit education and on his new position at Walsh Jesuit: “Since entering the Jesuits, I have been attracted to our schools as places that expand and deepen relationships with our communities, the world, and primarily with Christ. Walsh Jesuit has an excellent reputation among Jesuit high schools, a strong faculty, and committed students and families. I look forward to joining the Walsh Jesuit community this summer.”

His passion for education is evidenced by his academic resume as holds several advanced degrees from outstanding universities, including a Masters of Education from Harvard Graduate School of Education (Cambridge, MA), an M.A. in political science from Loyola University (Chicago, IL), and both a Masters of Divinity and a Masters of Theology from Weston Jesuit School of Theology (Cambridge, MA).

He received his B.A. in political science and completed the teaching licensure program at Marquette University (Milwaukee, WI). Fr. Carr also studied humanities at Creighton University (Omaha, NE).

“Fr. Mark Carr is a wonderfully qualified Jesuit who will bring his passion for Ignatian education to Walsh Jesuit and he will continue the good work of Mark Hassman as our academic leader. I am very grateful to the search committee and to chair Rick Sistek for their leadership in the process and to Rev. Brian Paulson, S.J., our provincial, whose faith in the good work here at Walsh Jesuit led him to make this outstanding and well-qualified Jesuit available to join the WJ family,” said Walsh Jesuit president, Karl Ertle.

Since entering the Jesuits, I have been attracted to our schools as places that expand and deepen relationships with our communities, the world, and primarily with Christ.

— Fr. Mark Carr

Fr. Carr’s community involvement shows his commitment to youth, education and religion. As a regional chaplain for the National Catholic Committee on Scouting, he sits on that organization’s executive board. His ministry includes service as the Catholic Scout chaplain for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, and, time permitting, chaplain at Philmont Scout Ranch (Cimarron, NM). He is a member of the executive board of the Three Harbors Council, Boy Scouts of America. Other board service includes the board of directors for the Jesuit Retreat House (Oshkosh, WI), and the board of directors of Marquette University High School where he has chaired the academic/student life committee and mission and identity committee.

(Wisconsin Province Jesuits)
Walsh Jesuit High School is blessed and honored to announce Fr. Mark A. Carr, S.J., as the school’s new principal.

Fr. Carr will succeed Mark Hassman, who served as Walsh Jesuit’s principal for ten years and will stay at Walsh Jesuit to assume new duties. As principal, Fr. Carr will guide the academic programming and spiritual formation of the school and will be instrumental in implementing Walsh Jesuit’s strategic plan. That plan focuses on forming women and men for and with others and complements the program that led Crain’s Cleveland magazine to recognize it as the number one high school in all of Northeast Ohio in college scholarship dollars offered to graduating seniors for each of the past two years.

The youngest of three boys, Fr. Carr grew up in Wheaton, IL, in the Chicagoland area, and he attended Wheaton Central High School.