Walsh Jesuit High School's Student News Site

The Pioneer

• November 6Using an iPad? Hold the device horizontally for best results.

• November 6Welcome to The Pioneer online! Please come back often to see what's new.

• November 6If you find an error please let us know by leaving a comment below the article.

Artist of the Month: Maria Criscione

Music offers beauty and welcome challenges to multi-talented student

Cameryn Celestina, Contributing Writer

Junior Maria Criscione has fostered her ardor for all things musical since a very young age. Constantly empowered by the beauty of instrumental harmony, performance, and creativity, she asserted, “Music has always been an important part of my life.”

Her experience with music began in pre-school during her involvement with an out-of-school music group where was introduced to different instruments. She recalls that her passion for music came naturally, and throughout the years she continued to experiment with instruments and consider her potential to do more with her talents.

In third grade Maria was introduced to the clarinet, the alto-saxophone in sixth, and the tenor sax in freshman year during the production of the musical “Guys and Dolls.” As a sophomore she added the flute  for holiday performances. Maria relishes her participation in many extracurricular programs such as concert band, jazz band, and playing in the orchestra pit for Walsh Jesuit musicals. She auditioned for the Northeast Regional Orchestra. She has also made her way from third chair to first chair over the course of two years, granting her many impressive solos.

(Andrew Dolph)
Maria Criscione performs at the Winter Concert at Walsh Jesuit this past season.

The most gratifying moments of playing music, Maria notes, are “performing and seeing things come together that you’ve worked so hard on; its beautiful.” Her aspiration and excitement to perform new and ever more challenging pieces keep her absorbed in her work and drawn to new projects.

Another thrill lies in the pressure to play the music flawlessly, including her favorite piece, “Egmont,” by Beethoven. Recollecting a performance, Maria noted, “I had one of the most important parts in the piece, and a lot was depending on me.”

A close friend of Maria, Schuyler Dick, commented, “She’s very creative and has a knack for music. She leads the clarinet section and will often organize little meetings to improve the clarinets. She sets a good example for others of having a good work ethic and always supporting others. She also helps others whether it’s in band or outside of the music scene.”

Although she does not feel called to a music career, Maria hopes to further her avocation by playing gigs in college, minoring in music, and participating in a university band.