Buddy Club spreads kindness, touches hearts

Christina Carocci, Staff Writer

Buddy Club has returned better than ever, hosting holiday parties for children with autism and being invited to events connected to and orchestrated by the coordinators of ASPIES of greater Akron.

As long as students attend a party, they become members of the club, and anyone can join at any time of the school year. “We will have our regular holiday parties, with possibly some additional activities like sky zone with the kids,” said senior Gabi Thompson, Buddy Club leader. She hopes “to impact the lives of others in a positive way.”

(Christina Carocci)
Members of WJ’s Buddy Club pose for a photo in the Commons before a meeting to plan events this semester.

Buddy Club, a part of Campus Ministry, is also involved with Justice League. Mrs. April Katona, moderator, loves the club because of “the students, and the passion I witness from the students for this cause sparked my interest.” She added, “Every year more students step up to lead, which is inspirational. Once I attended one event I was hooked.”

Freshman Marissa Arnold believes Buddy Club feels more approachable and, as a result of her positive experience, she was motivated to get involved in Campus Ministry. She noted, “The Buddy Club is very welcoming. The upperclassmen leaders are very helpful and make this club a fun activity to partake in.”  Sawyer Krause, ’18, agreed, saying, “I’m beyond excited for this experience and all the amazing kids I will meet!”

The Buddy Club’s goal is to promote and spread kindness to many organizations all around the area. All, from a freshman to seniors and adults, agree on the group being an experience everyone should try to participate in at Walsh Jesuit. The Buddy Club offers fun extracurricular activities that do not take much time but will deeply impact the heart.