Christmas Music: When is the right time to start?

Camden Pace, Staff Writer

Of all of the crazy arguments currently going around Walsh Jesuit and America, who would have thought that Christmas music would be one of the most controversial discussions? Though many people think the day after Halloween is the time to start “Jingle Bells,” others say they aren’t ready. (And what about the other little holiday that lands between Halloween and Christmas?)

Those who argue Christmas music ought to begin being played on November 1 are often also very eager to get into the holiday spirit. Senior Noah Casenhiser thinks the day after Halloween is a perfect time to blast “Walking in a Winter Wonderland” or Gucci Mane’s “East Atlanta Santa.” He believes “waiting until after Thanksgiving is too late, and time without Christmas music is time wasted.” He definitely plays no games when it comes to the Christmas tunes.

Ashley McCartney, a senior, agrees with Noah, stating, “Christmas is like a meal, and Thanksgiving is only the appetizer.” (A creative analogy that Thanksgiving is the set up for Christmas.)

Others vehemently disagree. They do not want to hear a single note of Michael Buble’s “Christmas” until midnight after Thanksgiving. Bryn Reimer, a senior went straight into rage mode. “It’s a disgrace to start listening to Christmas music after Halloween!” Bryn exclaimed.

Her opinion has support. Clinical psychologist Linda Blair claims “the constant barrage of Christmas tunes too early in the season forces people to remember all the things they have to do before the holiday.”

When do you listen to listen to Christmas music?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Like Bryn, sophomore Grace Kolar insists Christmas carols need to wait. She even admits, “I have a Thanksgiving song I listen to before Christmas.” The Thanksgiving track is unfortunately titled “Any Turkey Can Tango.”

Art teacher Ms. Karen Forfia shared an opinion in common with nobody, stating, “I listen to Christmas music year round.” (Risky, just risky.) The jingles do not get old for her.

Obviously, no matter which end of the spectrum, everyone has their opinion. Let The Pioneer know what you think in the comment section below.