“Crazy Rich Asians” makes history [Review]

Sansan Liang, Contributing Writer

Exceeding expectations, the history making “Crazy Rich Asians” dominated the box office with over $25 million in ticket sales in its opening week (August 17) and was rated “the top movie in the United States for the second weekend in a row,” according to The Huffington Post. One critic noted, “It’s the first major Hollywood production that isn’t a period piece to have an all-Asian cast in 25 years.” The movie is based on a New York Times bestselling novel written by Kevin Kwan and directed by John M. Chu.

(Vox.com)
The cast of Crazy Rich Asians at the premiere on August 7, 2018.

Breaking stereotypes, this movie tells the love story of an NYU professor and Asian American or American-born Chinese (ABC), Rachel Chu (played by Constance Wu), who falls in love with Nick Young (Henry Golding). The son of a wealthy family in Singapore, Nick takes Rachel back to his hometown to meet his parents and attend his brother’s wedding. Rachel is shocked by Nick and his family’s extravagant wealth.

Right off the bat, the audience is brought into a different world with motorcycles racing up and down the tight streets, night markets, and a variety of East Asian food. Not only does this film include tons of East Asian culture, traditions, and stereotypes (which I personally find very relatable), it also addresses many controversies surrounding Asians still relevant today.

“Crazy Rich Asians” breaks Western pop culture Asian stereotypes and propels Asian Americans into the entertainment industry. The first ever all Asian cast Hollywood motion picture has finally arrived. We rarely see Asian American representation on screen, let alone Asians as main characters.

“Most rom-coms are not my thing, but ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ possessed a unique type of humor that actually made me LOL. I could watch it again and laugh just as hard as the first time,” said junior Trevor Haag.

We rarely see Asian American representation on screen, let alone Asians as main characters.

Every rom-com has at least one outrageously comical character. Goh Peik Lin (Awkwafina), Rachel’s friend, dominates the funniest scenes in ‘Crazy Rich Asians.’ On the other hand, she says things worth paying attention to. She tells Rachel, “She just thinks you’re some, like, unrefined banana. Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.” Although this is said as a joke, the “banana” nickname can actually be used in a derogatory way for people (like me, an ABC) who’ve “lost” their Asian heritage.

Films like “Crazy Rich Asians” and “Black Panther” continue to dominate theaters and make history. With its diverse cast, culture, and amazing storyline, “Crazy Rich Asians” is a movie not to be missed. Representation matters.