2018 in review

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 in review

Sansan Liang, Staff Writer

Another year has sped by, and some of the most memorable events of the year deserve mentioning.

Pop Culture:

• “Black Panther” was rated as one of the year’s best movies, and made history by being the first superhero movie with an all African American cast and by grossing over $1 billion.
  • Netflix released many fan favorites such as the movies “To All The Boys I Loved Before” and “The Bird Box,” along with shows such as “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.”
  • Fortnite, played by more than 40 million people across the States and resulting in viral dances, earned “the video game of the year” designation.
  • According to Billboard, “I Like It” by Cardi B topped the charts as the number one track of 2018, and according to Youtube, the global pop stars BTS and Blackpink set “records in views and charts across multiple weeks.”
  • Ariana Grande also made a major comeback by releasing her song “No Tears Left to Cry,” followed by her hit album and the song “thank u, next.”

Sports:

• In February, the biggest sports event of the of the year, the 23rd Winter Olympics, was held in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The youngest female snowboarder made history by winning a gold medal for the United States.
  • Super Bowl LII, also in February, saw the Philadelphia Eagles win their very first Super Bowl.
  • Lebron James left the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Los Angeles Lakers
  • The 21st FIFA World Cup was held in Russia, which the French national football team won for their second time.

Major Events

• The shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, killed 17 people and wounded 14, igniting a nationwide gun control movement led by students.
  • The California wildfires in the fall ranked among the most destructive on record, burning over 1.8 million acres of land and damaging thousands of homes.
  • During a historic summit, President Donald Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un signed an agreement promising to work together to negotiate peace.
  • Democrats took control of the House of Representatives in the mid-term elections with the most diverse caucus ever.

Walsh Jesuit

• Over the summer, the kitchen was remodeled and changes to the menu were introduced.
  • New faculty members joined WJ, as well as our new football coach, Coach Alexander.
  • Now only freshmen have to report to assigned study halls.

Overall, 2018 presented some groundbreaking moments, both ups and downs. Looking forward, 2019 will undoubtedly be another significant year.