The Pioneer

• November 6Using an iPad? Hold the device horizontally for best results.

• November 6Welcome to The Pioneer online! Please come back often to see what's new.

• November 6If you find an error please let us know by leaving a comment below the article.

2019 Grammys: A noteworthy evening

Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 Grammys: A noteworthy evening

Sansan Liang, Staff Writer

According to Vox.com, “The Grammys are the most unpredictable of the major award shows.” Following last year’s ceremony, ranked as one of the worst in memory, the 2019 Grammys redeemed itself.

The 61st Grammy Awards on Sunday, February 10, started with a jaw-dropping performance of “Havana” by Camila Cabello and Young Thug, with special appearances by the biggest Latino musicians Ricky Martin, Arturo Sandoval, and J Balvin.

Apart from this spectacular opening, there were many more memorable performances, such as Shawn Mendes’s rendition of “In My Blood” as he took the stage with Miley Cyrus in a duet that became one of the viewers’ favorites of the night.

Alicia Keys, host and former pop star, surprised the audience during her monologue with special guests Michelle Obama, Lady Gaga, and many other female celebrities who emphasized the impressive women’s empowerment movements that began last year.

The Grammys also paid tribute to respected artists Diana Ross and Dolly Parton when they both took the stage with rousing performances. Another fan favorite occurred when Post Malone sang his hit “rockstar” with the well-known rock group Red Hot Chili Peppers.

A number of firsts made the night notable. Rapper Cardi B won her first Grammy for Best Rap Album, making her the first woman to win in this category. Dua Lipa won Best New Artist and Kacey Musgraves won Best Album, underscoring again the achievements of female artists.

Diversity was evident when BTS, a globally loved kpop group, made history as the first ever of that genre to be nominated for a Grammy award. To finish off the night’s entertainment, a memorable tribute to Aretha Franklin, who passed away recently, was beautifully performed by Fantasia, Yolanda Adams, and Andra Day.

Without a doubt, the Grammy Awards this year far outshone the last because of the diverse nominees and splendid performances.

Sansan Liang, Staff Writer

My name is Sansan Liang, I am a sophomore and a staff writer for The Pioneer. I am also in the strings orchestra. My hobbies include playing musical instruments,...