Open Mic Night 2019

Dominic Mazullo, Contributing Writer

Students will once again showcase their artistry, comedy, and musical talents at Open Mic Night. Hosted by the Class of 2019, the event will take place on Thursday, April 4, from 6:30 to 10:00 in the Commons.

Paloma Garcia, ’19, who has performed at Open Mic Night the past three years, said, “I love performing because entertaining people is my passion. I play the trombone in band, and my friend Rosey Antol and I are playing a song for this year’s event.” When asked if she’s nervous, she responded, “Not at all. I play in lots of our school’s bands, and the thrill I get from playing in front of people makes me more excited than nervous.”

For the first time, Open Mic Night has a theme, “Backyard BBQ,” which calls for wearing punny aprons and other BBQ-related apparel while enjoying the burgers, hot dogs, and snacks served throughout the evening.

It’s a great chance for people to showcase their skills in poetry and all kinds of art, including music. Come, you won’t regret it.

— Jacob Myers

Junior Jacob Myers, who read original poetry at last year’s event, said, “It’s a fun experience, with no pressure to perform. Everyone is welcome and everyone is happy to be there. It’s a great chance for people to showcase their skills in poetry and all kinds of art, including music. Come, you won’t regret it.”

In order to perform, students only need to sign their names when they enter.

The Sketch, Walsh Jesuit’s literary arts magazine containing poems and artwork by the student body, will come out the morning of Open Mic Night. This gives students the chance to read their Sketch submissions, and provides an opportunity for students to share literary pieces that weren’t published in the magazine.

The night will be free of charge, so bring your friends, dress up in some fun BBQ outfits, and enjoy the talents of your classmates. If you have any questions, you can email Gabriella Delprete at [email protected]