“Little Mermaid” makes a splash on stage

Eva Janigian, Staff Writer

Disney’s “Little Mermaid” continues to dive into the water of CenterStage’s theater, captivating audiences. Performances chronicling the adventures of a mermaid who grows legs to be with a human prince began on Wednesday, March 9 and continue until March 18.

(Disney’s “Little Mermaid” as promoted by CenterStage Theatre)
The mermaid’s tale was originally written in 1837 by Hans Christian Andersen before being adapted into a movie by Walt Disney Pictures in 1989. With music by Alan Menken, Disney Theatrical Group reimagined the story once again and started off-Broadway theatrical productions in early 2007 before taking it to Broadway later that year.

Olga Alvianskaia, ‘21, saw the production during its first week. She commented that the show was “amazing and [she] could tell how hard the people worked on it.”

Rehearsals started in early January and continued until the opening of the show. Each rehearsal focused on something different in the production, including singing, choreography, blocking, and development. Each rehearsal usually lasted between one to two hours but, as opening night approached, rehearsals became lengthier.

Junior and assistant director Jaime Masetta-Carlton acknowledged her favorite aspect of the musical. She thinks that “the way the show comes together in three months is incredible, and experiencing it with such an amazing cast and crew is by far [her] favorite thing about the musical.”

The show has received very high praise, even getting a special mention from President Karl Ertle on the morning announcements as he congratulated the cast, crew, and directors for a wonderful run of performances thus far.

“I thought that the show was very well done. One of my favorite parts was the flying,” said freshman Addison Burke. During the show a  fly rigging system is used to simulate swimming. Several characters use the fly rigging system, such as Ariel, Ursula, Prince Eric, Scuttle, and two sea creatures. The rigging system entails being hooked up in a harness while fly-crew members use a rope-line and pulley system to hoist actors into the air.

Olga recommends “everyone to go see it.” Remaining shows are being presented on Thursday, March 15 at 7 pm; Friday, March 16 at 7:30 pm; Saturday, March 17 at 2 pm and 7:30 pm and Sunday, March 18 at 2 pm. Tickets are $15 for adults and $10 for students.